Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

Baby's First Bath

This was a task I was NOT looking forward to! How am I supposed to bathe my tiny, helpless, NEW BABY that still hasn't lost his umbilical cord stump? Luckily, my best friend who is the NICU nurse came over and did Bobby's first bath which I will share with you guys! Here is what you need.
  • Infant Bath Tub - You can skip this but babies are really slippery and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Washcloth - You can use any small towel
  • Bath Towel - I loved the Koala bath towel that is on my Registry Must-Haves list
  • Gentle Body Wash - I would recommend unscented for the first bath to avoid any allergic reactions
  • A Small Bucket, Small Tub or Tupperware - I took the one ugly pink one from the hospital and used it for every sink bath!
 I would find a warm room in the house where you can close the door to do it. The first time we gave an infant bath, we did it in the kitchen. I have an open floor plan and it was the month of December so it was actually pretty cold and he screamed the whole time! The second time we gave him a bath, we did it in the bathroom sink with the doors closed and it was a much more pleasant experience for us and the baby. It was warmer in the room and not so open like the kitchen is.

Have the bath towel, a diaper, and their clothes ready for you in the bathroom. First, let the water run until it gets to optimal temperature for a baby. Usually that is 98 degrees. To me, that just feels a little warmer than lukewarm water. Fill the "small bucket" with warm water and put the wash cloth in it. Put the Baby in the sink/tub and fill it with water but only up to where it would not cover their stump. I like singing a song to Bobby while the water is filling up so everything isn't so unfamiliar.



Put the body wash on the wet washcloth and begin "sponge bathing" the baby. Keep dipping the washcloth into the bucket and continue washing the baby while trying to avoid the stump (or wee wee if they are circumcised.)

Don't forget to get around the neck, under the arms, and behind the knees. The easiest way to do this is to have someone else hold the baby over the infant tub while using one hand to support the neck and head and the other hand under their butt to make sure they don't slip. If you don't have someone, use one hand for the neck and head and the other to do the washing.

My friend taught me to do the head last. It is where they would get the coldest and the part they hate the most. Gently use the washcloth on their head and rinse immediately with fresh warm water with either the washcloth or even a small cup.

Afterwards, I would dump out the water in the soapy bucket and use fresh water to now make sure you sponge bathe all the soapy water off the baby. Once you are done, wrap the baby in the bath towel and try to dry them off as fast as you can and "pat dry" their stump in case it got wet. I like to get the baby dressed in the same room because the temperature outside the bathroom is pretty drastic. This way they are not shivering or upset that they are too cold. Give them extra cuddles and kisses because this could be just as scary for them as it is for you! Hope this helps!




No comments:

Post a Comment