Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

My Registry Must-Have List!



 Registering was honestly the most overwhelming task I had to do. How was I supposed to know what a baby needs and which brands were the best when I didn't have children yet? The stuff our moms used are probably not legal or sold anymore and the people at the stores are not really helpful. Luckily, I had a lot of friends to help guide me and I also cross referenced each item with Amazon reviews. There are definitely items on my registry that I did not use, however, I am going to share with you the essentials as well as my favorite things that have gotten us through! Please note, I do not get paid or receive incentives from any of these companies and am just recommending what we love. You can purchase these products from most baby stores but Amazon was just easier for me to share the links.

 
Infant Car Seat - You cannot even take your baby out of the hospital without one. I would suggest doing one that is light because it gets SO heavy with a baby in it. The Car Seat you pick should me compatible with the stroller you want. In our case, we got the Peg Perego Car Seat with adapters for our strollers but I would not recommend that brand. It is really heavy (over 11lbs) and their new version which is lighter, does not have adapters for most strollers. I also have a Chicco Car Seat which my husband uses that is much lighter and works with most strollers. Consumer reports also highly recommends the Chicco. Another great brand is Maxi Cosi because it only weighs 8 pounds! Just remember to pick one that has adapters for your choice of stroller. I would also get Sassy Go Go Bugs as an accessory for the car seat. Babies love the chime sounds and the bright colors.

Stroller - This one is definitely preference. They all have their pros and cons. I have the Bugaboo Cameleon 3. It moves nice and smooth, most infant car seats work with it, they have different prints you can change the fabric out to, it comes with a bassinet and toddler seat, and it collapses easy. The negatives for me are that you cannot collapse it with the adapters on thus you are now taking two pieces off before you collapse your stroller, the basket is pretty small, the toddler seat which it can covert to also needs to be taken off before you collapse and it cannot convert to a double stroller. The two strollers which if I could go back and get would be the Baby Jogger City Select or UppaBaby 2015 especially if you plan to have another child within the next 3 years. They both can convert to a double stroller whether it is for twins or for a toddler and an infant. From what I have researched, they are both essentially the same. Some have complained about the brakes on the Uppa and others have complained about the mobility of the City Select. Overall, I think for what these two do, they are both a great choice. I also have a BOB stroller which we use for travel as I discussed in my Travel Post.

Stroller Accessories - I would definitely add Stroller Hooks and a Stroller Organizer. I love the Britax Stroller Organizer because I can put my cell phone, drink, and a wallet in it. It transfers easy to different strollers too.

Bassinet - There are SO many options for bassinets. I used the Arms Reach Co Sleeper but I ended up co-sleeping with my son the first 5 months. It also does not adjust height so I would still have to physically get out of bed to get him the few times he did sleep in there.  He would wake up every time we put him down and would only sleep if he had skin to skin contact with either myself or my husband. I was able to use the Summer Infant By Your Side Sleeper for the first couple of months but then he outgrew that and I kept him in between us. Unfortunately we didn't need one at all as it turned out but if you are willing to splurge for a great bassinet, the Halo Bassinet is awesome. It adjusts height so it will work with any bed, it has a night light and vibration feature, and one side drops so you can get the baby easily. Had this been around when I was pregnant, I would have definitely got it.

Crib/Changing Table - I am not going to cover cribs because that is simply preference and they are all pretty much the same but don't forget to register for a changing table, changing pad and sheet, crib, crib mattress and sheets. Some people want Crib Bumpers and some don't. I have a Breathable Crib Bumper. I found a dresser that had a changing table on top so it saved a lot of room in his bedroom. I use the changing table for every single diaper change. I know a lot of people don't so this again is a personal preference but I have a one story house so walking to his room isn't a big deal.

Baby Monitor - There are a bunch of great monitors out there that are all different sizes. You will especially need one if you have a two-story house or the Baby Room is far from you. My friend loves her Motorola Baby Monitor and I have the Withings Baby Monitor. I chose Withings because I can check in from anywhere with my cell phone. It sends me a text when there is movement or noise and I just log in from my phone. You can have it constantly play on video mode or leave text mode on. When we have someone else watching our son, we just let them use the iPad with the app on it.

White Noise Machine - You may not think you need this but you do. Now that my son is in another room, we play white noise for him and it drowns out all the other sounds in the house. I initially had the sleep sheep sound machine but it turns off after 30 minutes so it is pointless! The Marcpac Sound Machine has excellent reviews and also has a fan inside which they say reduce the chances of SIDS. I had an old iPhone that was lying around so I downloaded a white noise app and use that in his room. Works like a charm!

Humidifier - I have the Crane Cool Mist Humidifier. My son was born in November so we needed moisture in the air. It also is what the doctor will tell you to use when your infant is sick with a cold.

Swing - The Fischer Price Sungabunny Swing is one of the best inventions EVER! I tried every single thing out there to try to get my son to sleep and nothing worked. The Mamaroo was too gentle for him and none of the other vibrating contraptions I purchased worked. This swing is the only thing he would nap in! It sways and plays music and rocks him right to sleep. For the first time, I had gotten 5 hours straight of sleep. Make sure you have this handy starting from day 1 of being home!

Night Light - You totally need one. This is great for the middle of the night feedings, for the diaper changes and for you to be able to see where you are going for the one hundred times you have to get up! I just have a cheap one from Home Goods that is in the shape of an owl. Any night light will works.

Diapers/Wipes/Ointments -  Holy crud do you need a lot of these! I actually counted one day that we changed 11 diapers! My son had a ton of blow outs too so it was pretty much after every feed that we had to change him. I honestly suggest that you have your Shower Host ask everyone to bring a pack of diapers. I still haven't had to buy a size. Stock up on Newborn size because we used that a lot and no one wants to go out and buy diapers postpartum. I would suggest at least 200 size NB diapers. My favorite diapers are Pampers Swaddlers and my favorite wipes are Honest Wipes. Add a few Butt Pastes and Ointments. I love Desitin for when he gets a rash, and I use Bordeaux Butt Paste daily. I would also register for Arm & Hammer Bag Dispensers for dirty diapers. You keep them in your Diaper Bag that way you put the diaper in there and toss it or keep it in your bag with the bag around it.

Diaper Bag - This is totally preference. I have one that is a purse and I also have a Petunia Pickle Bottom one which is made to be a diaper bag. My husband has the Diaper Dude Backpack and loves it. He likes having his own so he is not traveling with a female purse. Ha!

Diaper Pail - The two main ones I hear about are Diaper Genie and Diaper Dekor. I chose the Dekor mostly because of the look and color options. I have no complaints about it. The bags last a long time and my cousin even uses regular trash bags. It has a foot pedal so it opens easily for when you have a baby in one hand and a diaper in another. I know some people think you do not need this but I am not taking those stinky diapers out every change and I am not leaving them in the open to stink up a room! I put Arm and Hammer Nursery Refreshers inside the pail as well to help with the smell.

Breast Pump - Do not forget that MOST insurance companies now PAY for your breast pump. I have the Madela Pump In Style and love it. Also, make sure you have some nursing covers and I would keep a can of formula handy in case you do not make enough milk.

Bottles/Accessories - Even if you exclusively nurse, bottles are important. My doctor recommended that we give the baby a bottle after 4 weeks because some babies refuse the bottle and will only nurse. Introducing the bottle will help give you a break and let others feed your baby so you're not the only person which can end up being really draining. I have been using Tommee Tippee bottles and haven't had any problems. I would recommend a Newborn Starter Set so you have bottles the baby can grow with. The cleaning brush is also my favorite. I have used other brushes and they fell apart. Along with bottles I would suggest getting a Boon Drying Rack for the bottles to dry and a formula dispenser for those who use formula. Tommee Tippee makes these cool Formula Dispensers which are only 4.00 and fit right in their bottles which is quick and convenient. I also have the Munchkin Formula Dispenser for my back up when we are gone all day. This can also be used for snacks later on when the baby is older.

Bottle Warmer - Whether you nurse or give formula, this is a must. You can use it to thaw frozen milk, warm up a bottle of formula and also warm up food for the baby. I love the Tommee Tippee Electric Bottle Warmer as well and highly recommend it. We also use it all the time now because we use the water from the fridge for his formula and it is ice cold. The warmer gets it to room temp quickly.

Pacifiers -My son always loved the Avent Pacifiers which are the ones the hospital gave us. A registry must-have is the WubbaNub Pacifier. It has a weighted stuffed animal at the end that helps prevent it from falling out of the mouth and Babies love holding on to it. We have 3!

Glider/Chair - I know a lot of people do not think this is necessary but my son would never sleep had we not had one. I rock him back and fourth in the glider and gently lay him in the crib for the rest of the night. It puts him to sleep quickly and it is also part of our routine for bed time. We read a story and then I rock him to sleep. I also used it a ton when I was nursing. My nursing pillow fit perfectly on the arm rest so I could nurse or my husband could bottle feed him easily and comfortably. You will spend countless hours in it so pick one that you truly love and you find very comfortable. I got my Glider and Ottoman from Babies R Us and love it! They come in a lot of different colors.

Nursing Pillow - Even if you are not nursing, this is really a great item to have. When people would come to visit, they didn't know how to hold the baby so I would put the Boppy around their waist and put the baby on it. It not only makes it easy but their arms can rest so they do not get tired of holding the baby. You can also use it when bottle feeding as well. I have the Boppy and My Brest Friend. I liked the Boppy because it was very versatile and I liked the Brest Friend because it has back support and a little compartment for creams. Overall, I would suggest the Boppy because it is easy to get on and also helps with tummy time later on. Don't forget to register for a cover for it too.

Swaddles - My son hated being swaddled and I owned pretty much every swaddle item out there. I would suggest just registering for some swaddle blankets, maybe 4 and if the baby likes it, then later on get one that zips or has velcro. Those are easier to get off and on and the baby cannot escape them. My son just always wanted his hands by his face and would unwrap out of any swaddle blanket. I do use them now as a stroller cover and also when he sleeps since they are breathable. I have the ones by Aden and Anais. I love the Bamboo ones.

Wrap - I have the Moby wrap and Solly Wrap and would have to say the Solly is better. There is less fabric and it is not as thick as the Moby. I literally used this when doing things at home (I had an infant that would scream if I put him down) and when out up until he was 6 months!

Baby Carrier - There are a lot of these on the market as well. A lot of people like the Baby Bjorn carrier but I have the Ergo 360 which we love. You can have the Baby face outwards and inwards. It is very comfortable and comes with a little hood to cover the Baby's head. I started using this when he was 6 months old.

Pack & Play - I am using this now more than ever! My son can stand in the crib and will roll off our bed so the only safe place to put him is in one of these. I personally have the 4Moms Breeze Playard. It is super easy to open and close and made VERY well however it is SO heavy. If you can keep it in one place and not have to travel with it, I would recommend it. Another one I read great reviews on and has a great price is Graco Pack N Play Playard. This looks just as easy to open and close, is a fraction of the price, and isn't as heavy.

Activity Gym and Floor Mat - My son loves the Baby Einstein Play Gym. It plays music, lights up, and is really colorful. Any Floor Mat is good. It is nice to have one so it is a designated area for the baby to play and keep his/her toys.

Floor Seat & High Chair - I know everyone loves the Bumbo but I honestly love the Mamas & Papas Baby Snug Seat. This seat is much more stable and also comes with a tray. This is actually what I am using now instead of a high chair to feed my son. As far as High Chairs, pick something that works for you. We have wood floors so I picked the Boon High Chair specifically because it has wheels. It also lifts up and down and has an easy to use brake system. The tray cover comes off so you can just wash that instead of the whole tray.

Infant Bath Tub - We have the Puj Tub for our son. I picked this one because it totally light and can be stored flat. I do not have a lot of storage space and for something we only used for 3 months, I wanted it as small as can be. A lot of my friends love the 4Moms Infant Tub because it has a built in thermometer and you can put it in the bathtub too. I again personally did not want the bulk of it.

Bath Accessories - I love this Koala Bath Swaddle! We used it for the first 4 months until our son grew out of it. It is so much easier to wrap them up right away when they get out of the shower in the swaddle. I would even recommend two of them. Just Born Organic Wash Cloths are excellent. They lather up nicely and are very soft on the skin. Some of the other brands I had received were rough or didn't even absorb the body wash and water. Don't forget to add a baby shampoo. Johnson and Johnson is still a great one and there lots of other brands too. I picked one by what I thought smelled the best.

Clothes - Register for the Carters Onesies! I honestly have 10-15 in every size. Not only do we have him in them to crawl around the house, we use them as layers under all of his clothes. Register for at least one pack of Newborn size. Most all babies will still be in NB size when they come home since they lose weight after leaving the hospital.I would also just add a few bibs for their drool, bottle feeds and future eating. The Tommee Tippee Bibs are the best because the ring around the top prevents anything from leaking through. I would also stock up on about 3 pairs of NB pajamas with zippers to get them off and on easily and a pack of socks.

Cloth Diapers - No, not because your baby will be wearing cloth diapers, but because your baby will puke, have blow out poops, and eat the messiest foods. These are the best things ever to keep on hand all around the house, diaper bag, and car. The best part is they can be bleached continually and look as good as new. We have packs and packs of the Gerber Cloth Diapers all over the house. You'll thank me for this one.

Medicine Cabinet Items - The Nose Frida is really great. It helps suck the boogers out of the nostrils when the baby is sick. I would include a pack of Tylenol or Advil because fevers come out of no where and definitely a thermometer. Along with Tylenol, I would get Mylicon drops for gas and Gripe Water for colic. I also have in my medicine cabinet  The First Years Nail Clippers which you will use often, a thermometer and  Comb and Brush.

Travel Items - I would get travel size shampoos for the baby and the OXO Tot On-The-Go drying rack. This is seriously awesome. You can read my Travel Post here for more info and items for travel.

Toys and Books - You can always register for classic books or learning books. We started with the Soft Books when Bobby was 2 months and still plays with them. My son loves the Amazing Baby Soft Book, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar Soft Book. Some toys he loves are Sophie the Giraffe, Freddie the Firefly, balls, and pretty much anything that is colorful and makes sounds. The ones I listed above are great starter toys.

Some definite items you can do without are mittens, baby shoes, sleep sacks, actual robes, first aid kits (hospital gives you a lot), bottle sterilizer, wipe warmer and towel warmer. Hope I covered everything! Feel free to add items I may have forgot!

XO







No comments:

Post a Comment