Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

All You Need For Your Hospital Bag




I am going to share with everyone all that you truly need for your hospital bag. I, like most people, completely over packed. Some things I didn't even use and a lot of other items the hospital provided for me. I was constantly checking the internet for lists that people had made and ended up with a huge suitcase and duffel bag which was not necessary! After I had the Baby, I sat down and made a true list of the items that any Mommy should bring.

  • Bag or small suitcase
  • Delivery Gown
  • Pajamas
  • Slippers
  • Hospital outfit for baby
  • Beanies
  • Side snap shirts for baby
  • Nursing Pillow
  • Car Seat
  • Nursing Tank
  • Pillow
  • Flip Flops
  • Toiletries
  • Makeup
  • Hair appliances
  • Camera
  • Phone and charger
  • Going home for yourself
Here are some of the reasons why I chose what I have listed above.
 
Delivery Gown - The hospital provides you with a gown so you absolutely do not need to bring one but I wanted to have my own. I am actually glad I brought my own because it made nursing very easy. I chose one that opened in the front and buttoned in the back. I found it online on Etsy. The ones at the hospital just have a tie on the back so you are pretty exposed! Make sure if you bring your own that it opens on the back somehow because they need to have easy access for the epidural.

Pajamas - I brought a set of comfortable pajamas because we had a lot of visitors and I needed to get up and walk around the hospital quite a bit. My son was in NICU for a day so going back and fourth in the pajamas was really nice. This is also why I suggested slippers. 

Hospital Outfit for the Baby - They will send your Baby home in just a used white shirt if you do not have clothes for him/her. Bring a comfy outfit like a onesie-pajama or something you can take easily off of them. You can also pack a really cute outfit if you want to take photos. I would recommend bringing clothes in size newborn. Unless you have a Baby that is 12 pounds, NB size clothes should fit them when they leave the hospital. Keep in mind, babies usually lose 5-10% of their weight after birth. The hospital will provide you with a beanie for the baby but usually they are pink and blue so I didn't love it. It is hard to find NB size beanies so if you do, get a couple because you will use them around the house too. I remember how scary the first ride home was for us! Eeeek!

Carters Side Snap Tees - These are the BEST! My girlfriend told me about them and I used it on the Baby not only at the hospital, but at home a lot too. They open in front so you can have access to skin-to-skin contact easily. Even the nurses were complimenting them and asking where I got the tees from!

Nursing Pillow - I WISH I had brought my Nursing Pillow. At the hospital, I was so overwhelmed with trying to learn to breastfeed and all they gave me were pillows to prop the Baby. They were squishy and so uncomfortable. When I came home, I used the Boppy (the pillow I had) and I felt like it changed my life. Not only was it perfect for nursing, but when people came over to hold him, I propped it under their arms so their arms wouldn't get tired from holding him.

Infant Car Seat - You have to have this and my hospital even did a check to make sure we knew how to put the baby in and out of it.

Nursing Tank - I wore this under my pajamas and left my pajama top unbuttoned. This way I had another quick way to nurse the baby and if I got hot, I could take off my pajama top.

Pillow - Again, my neck hurt by using their pillows. I made my husband go home the first night and get my pillow. It is just a way to be more comfortable, not a necessity.

Flip Flops, Toiletries, Makeup, and Hair Appliances - NOTHING will feel as amazing as your first shower. I can't tell you how long I stayed in that shower for! I used the flip flops for the shower because I am a little bit of a germaphobe and I did my hair and makeup only one day but I felt great. That was the day I took the most photos and just kind of felt like myself again. Don't forget to pack shampoo, body wash, razor (if you need one) tooth brush, toothpaste, and lotion.

Electronics - Of course your cell phone and charger but also a camera where you can print the photos in a higher resolution for yourself, friends, and family.

Going Home Outfit For Yourself - In case you don't know, you will not be down to your per-pregnancy size when you are discharged from the hospital. Most people actually leave looking 5 months pregnant. I would suggest a pair of underwear that is large and high waisted in case you have a C-Section, a pair of maternity leggings, a nursing tank top and cardigan or sweater. This way you have layers and can adjust with the temperature. You will probably still be feeling really warm. I still run hotter than my per-pregnancy body temperature till this day.

The hospital provides a lot. Here is a list of the things I can remember:
Breast Pump and parts
Nipple Cream
Swaddle Blankets
Pink/Blue Beanie
Hospital Gown
Mesh underwear and pads
Numbing Spray
Peri Bottle
Diapers
Wipes
Vaseline
 Laxatives
Pain Meds

Some insurances covers an "At Home Visit." A nurse will come and check on you and your baby 2-3 days after to make sure their weight is going up and that everything is okay. I loved having this so if you have the option, do it.


I hope this helps some mothers! Please feel free to suggest any items I may have forgotten or that you found helpful!





XO


No comments:

Post a Comment