Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Peas Please! Homemade Food for Baby!

I made a goal this year to make use of all of the appliances we received as wedding gifts. The only one I have yet to use is the Kitchen-Aid Mixer which is definitely for caloric reasons! One appliance that I am using almost every day is the Food Processor. I don't know why it took me so long to put this bad boy to use?! That being said, I decided it is time to make my own baby food; organic and free of preservatives!

I first started by making my own chicken broth. I boiled three organic, vegetarian fed, chicken thighs in about 6 cups of water for 3.5 hours. I skimmed off the fat/foam and put it in the refrigerator over night. I then skimmed off more fat from the top and was left with a gelatinous liquid that I am going to use for all the baby food I make.

The way the broth looked after skimming fat and being refrigerated.You can strain again to remove more fat.



I then used a bag of organic Frozen Peas from Whole Foods and let them steam in water. It is important that you do not boil them or you can lose a lot of nutrients. I steamed them for about 6 minutes.

Put enough water to cover just the bottom portion of the basket.




After steaming, I put the peas directly in a cold bath to prevent them from cooking longer. After letting them cool for a few minutes, I put them directly in the food processor and blended away adding about 3 tablespoons of the chicken broth until the peas were at a consistency that I wanted.

Add the broth from the top to smooth out the peas.




This is about the consistency I wanted the peas for my son since he is only 5.5 months old and doesn't have any teeth yet. Use your own judgment for your baby.

Perfect, bright green, chicken-broth infused peas!


I am storing the peas and broth in the freezer and will keep one in the refrigerator at all times so I can have food on hand. All of this took less than 30 minutes and cost less than three dollars! I will be doing sweet potatoes next.

You can store them in Ziploc bags to save room in your freezer or cups like I have above.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment