Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Baby That Never Sleeps...

Yes, I had a baby that never slept. In fact, my husband and I spent FOUR months taking shifts holding the baby at night. My husband would stay up until 4am and I would take over from 4am. The only way our little guy slept was chest to chest and we were too afraid to fall asleep that way with him being so tiny and us being so tired. The baby would also sleep in the car, but as soon as the movement stopped, he was wide awake. We purchased every apparatus you could think of. We had the Mamaroo, Rock and Play Sleeper, two bassinets, a co-sleeper, bouncer that vibrates, The Day Dreamer, and Breeze Playard. NOTHING worked until we tried the good old fashion swing!


A friend of mine suggested trying the Fischer Price Swing and after spending so much money on the items above, I was reluctant. I pushed it off for a while then remembered that my other girlfriend had one and I would ask her to try it and if by some miracle it worked, I would buy one. We finally put it together and the baby not only was silent in it, it was the first time he has slept 5 hours!! Yes, FIVE hours straight. We kicked ourselves for not trying it sooner! This is not the best way for your child to necessarily sleep but it got my husband and I to actually sleep comfortably for the first time in months! (Our Doctor said it was fine.) We used the swing up until about six months and also co-slept as well. The swing really helped with the transition to the crib and to get him to feel secure enough to not always have to be held to sleep. Our son is now sleeping in his crib and wakes up once for a bottle or sometimes not at all until the sun comes up.

The first time we slept!!
Do yourself a favor and buy this swing! Most baby stores have it and I would even check Craigslist for a gently used one. I shared this information with some of my other new mommies and they have thanked me numerous time! Spread the word so some of us mommies with non sleeping babies can sleep.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment