Pages

Monday, August 24, 2015

Cutting an Baby's nails...eeeeek!

A dear friend of mine shared with me how this was one of the most difficult tasks she did with her newborn. I wanted to share some tips and products that can make cutting nails for new babies not so scary!

My best friend is a NICU nurse so I have to admit, I had a huge upper hand with all the "first time" milestones. She gave my son his first bath, babysat as early as one week old, and cut his nails for the first time.

Tips when cutting nails with clippers:
  • Do it while he/she is sleeping or nursing
  • Make sure you have plenty of light
  • Push the finger pad back from the nail and keep a firm hold on the baby's hand
  • Make sure you cut along the nail bed or you will have sharp corners 
  • You can go over it with a file to smooth any sharp edges 

OR you can purchase this cool gaget called Zoli Electic Nail Trimmer.
It safely trims nails with a gentle oscillating action. Think of a sandpaper machine but miniture. The pads are designed for baby's nails so it won't harm surrounding skin and it comes with different pads for the different ages of the baby up to 2 years old. There are two different settings for speed as well so you can start low and build your confidence up to a higher speed.
  • Also do when the baby is sleeping or nursing
  • Make sure you have light
  • Start sanding away along the shape of the nail
I use both of these on the baby. If I am in a rush, I just use the clippers, especially now that he is older and hard to keep still. If I just need maintenance, I use the Zoli. Both of these products are great and hopefully can make cutting nails a less scary task!








XO

No comments:

Post a Comment